Origins of the D Programming Language

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at gdcproject.org
Mon Dec 3 16:19:50 UTC 2018

On Fri, 30 Nov 2018 at 20:35, Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> Over the past few months, Walter, Mike, and myself have been working on
> a draft submission for the HOPL 2020 conference (History of Programming
> Languages).
>
> The submission proceeds in several stages. Currently we've been through
> one round of preliminary review. Here is the current draft:
>
> http://erdani.com/hopl2020-draft.pdf
>
> We'd appreciate feedback and additional historical details.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Andrei (on behalf of Walter and Mike as well)

Wrong accreditation, lines 1118-1119.

> 2002, May: David Friedman began creation of another D compiler by adapting the D front
> end sources for use with gcc, calling it the BrightD Compiler project

It was our resident Jan Knepper who did this, not David.  The codename
was BrightD, under the OpenD umbrella project.

Citation: https://web.archive.org/web/20180324145631/http://www.opend.org/

It's a shame that this site has now been sniped by what looks to be a
domain shark, according to the registrar information, shortly after
Burton's apparent passing earlier this year too.

--
Iain