Go 2, here we come!

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 12:11:27 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 4 December 2018 at 07:41:18 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> Now that Go seems to have a role of replacing Java in The
> Cloud, generics is a far more serious issue than it was three
> years ago – there is nothing quite as stimulating of action as
> big company spokespeople rather than private individuals making
> disparaging remarks. So the Go team have more or less been
> forced to find an acceptable generics system, which they
> haven't tried seriously before.

Yes, my guess is that there have been internal complaints within
Google, after all they hire people who know other languages...

The most interesting part was indeed that the opinions of the
original team is not going to be given as much weight in Go 2!

So basically, Google leadership seem to force the Go team to
address recurring complaints about error-handling and generics.
At least, that seems likely.

At this point I'd say that is a very important point to make.
Changing the language is important, but for me it is even more
important that they are changing the process!

Other languages should follow suit. C++ did the same thing, and I
think it was for the better. Although both C++ and Go seem to be
stuck with old sins...