Origins of the D Programming Language

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 19:37:04 UTC 2018

On 12/4/18 2:23 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Tuesday, 4 December 2018 at 19:04:35 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
>> The timeline does not have when work started on D 2.0 and when the
>> first release was or what have you.
>
> D 2.0 started in 1999.
>
> The truth is D has just been constantly evolving from the beginning. All
> D1 is was an arbitrary snapshot on the path, which briefly branched off
> with just bug fixes (of course, one user's bug fix is another user's
> breaking change).
>
> Then, the D language continued evolving the same has it has the last 8
> years, just now that one random snapshot got labeled D1, the ongoing
> evolution got rebranded D2, since it would sound silly is D 0.xxx was
> considered newer than 1.0.
>

> The officially labeled 2.0 came out in July 2007, six months after the
> officially labeled 1.0, but really that is just because of a brief
> freeze to focus more on bugs than any real "it's done" materializing.

 From my memory, I remember the big thing of D 2.0 was immutable/const.
Essentially there was no way to shoehorn immutable (then called
invariant) and const into the D compiler without breaking everything
(and as one who tried to port Tango to D2, I experienced this
first-hand), so the fork was made. I'm sure there was a definitive point
at which this was decided. Unfortunately, I don't think DMD was even
using subversion back then, so the code history may be hard to construct.

-Steve