Origins of the D Programming Language

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 20:56:43 UTC 2018

> On 12/4/18 2:58 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> Not using version control was a very unwise thing to do, though I do
>> sympathise that back in the day, there weren't many good version control
>> systems out there, plus the awareness of the benefits of version control
>> wasn't that widespread.
>
> I think it was just that the sole (or few?) maintainer didn't need to
> have it to get stuff done.
>
> Just for fun I went back and looked, dsource.org shows 0.50 as the first
> first put into (at least public) source control:
> http://dsource.org/projects/dmd/browser/trunk/src?rev=5
>
> Of course, that's just the front end. Phobos may have had earlier
> history as I think it was more of a distributed effort.

Hm... looks like that source tree is reconstructed, as it seems 0.50 was
released in 2002!

https://forum.dlang.org/thread/arfoqu$4q6$1@digitaldaemon.com

So there actually is history before 2009 available publicly.

It's then probably possible to find the point at which D2 was forked,
but I'm not about to dig that much :)

-Steve