Origins of the D Programming Language

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Dec 4 21:46:28 UTC 2018

On Tue, Dec 04, 2018 at 03:43:57PM -0500, Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 12/4/18 2:58 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > Not using version control was a very unwise thing to do, though I do
> > sympathise that back in the day, there weren't many good version
> > control systems out there, plus the awareness of the benefits of
> > version control wasn't that widespread.
>
> I think it was just that the sole (or few?) maintainer didn't need to
> have it to get stuff done.
[...]

Still unwise.  I use version control for all of my projects (and not
just D ones, even stuff like websites, POVRay scene files, music, and
configuration files).  People seem to have this idea that version
control is only for code, but in reality, it's extremely useful for
anything that changes over time that you might conceivably want to
retrieve prior versions of (even if just for comparison).  And in this
day and age, with the ease of use of git, there's really no excuse not
to use version control for anything of value.

The best way to destroy a cause is to defend it poorly.