Removing Meson as way of building dcd, d-scanner, etc

Antonio Corbi antonio at ggmail.com
Fri Dec 7 08:15:58 UTC 2018

On Friday, 7 December 2018 at 04:59:32 UTC, Neia Neutuladh wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Dec 2018 10:54:48 +0000, Basile B. wrote:
>> Do you use it ? Is it useful ?
>
> I would consider touching Meson at all if it could fetch
> dependencies. But it can't, which sucks.
>
> Though I'm amused to note that its documentation uses one of my
> libraries in an example.

Hi Neia,

I began playing with meson (v 0.48.2) the other day (Terminix
example has been very useful) and it seems to fetch and compile
dependencies via dub.

On the other hand my pet-project compile times have downloaded
from approx. 1m 10s. build time with dub to approx. 50s. build
time with meson.

I.e. I declare dependencies to fetch with dub in meson.build like
this:

################
# Dependencies #
################
gtkd_dep = dependency('gtk-d:gtkd', version: '>=3.8.4', method:
'dub')
xlib_dep = dependency('x11')

And use them like this:

dgtalib = static_library('dgtalib',