X86_mscoff / x86_64 as default for dub projects (windows)

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Sat Dec 8 03:25:46 UTC 2018

On Friday, December 7, 2018 8:09:37 PM MST Rubn via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Saturday, 8 December 2018 at 02:08:14 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
> wrote:
> > On Friday, December 7, 2018 3:15:30 PM MST Rubn via
> >> This is part of the problem, in that there are more tests run
> >> on Linux than Windows. DMD doesn't even compile it self on
> >> Windows to test. It does for linux though. Also some of the
> >> community projects are all compiled and tested on linux but
> >> not windows. That's the state it is in, the only tests that
> >> are run are the most basic ones. Can't expect DMD on Windows
> >> to be stable at all, if ever that's the way it goes though I
> >> guess. No one seems to care or thinks running tests on linux
> >> only is good enough for windows.
> >
> > The entire test suite for druntime, Phobos, and dmd has to pass
> > on all supported platforms on the auto-tester:
> >
> > https://auto-tester.puremagic.com/
> >
> > Windows is not exempt from that. So, unless there are a bunch
> > of tests in the test suite which are needlessly
> > platform-specific, Windows is getting tested just as much as
> > Linux is. Where do you get the idea that it's not?
> >
> > - Jonathan M Davis
>
> https://ci.dlang.io/blue/organizations/jenkins/dlang-org%2Fdmd/detail/PR-8
> 519/3/pipeline
>
> I guess that's just another dead project, so I guess no platform
> is getting those tests anymore. Too bad, I guess that's another
> story for D, unless they moved to something else.

I think that they moved those tests to buildkite, but I don't know what the
exact situation with that is right now. While the main auto-tester has been
the same for ages, they keep changing what they're doing with the other
tests. But I believe that the tests for each project are run using travis
and depend on how each project set that up, so which which platforms they
test is going to vary from project to project. And I don't think that that
includes Windows at all, because that would require something like appveyor.
So, the testing of projects beyond dmd and the standard library is only on
*nix systems AFAIK, but dmd itself and the standard library are definitely
tested on all of the platforms that dmd supports.

> What you linked are just those basic tests, those tests don't do
> anything complicated like building DMD itself with the newly
> created DMD and running the tests for both to ensure a correct
> binary is produced.

The new compiler is built and used to run the druntime and Phobos test
suites. Then it's used with the newly built druntime and Phobos to run the
dmd test suite. So, the new dmd binary is definitely being tested, but no,
the newly built dmd isn't then used to build dmd yet again as part of those
tests.

- Jonathan M Davis