Go 2, here we come!

Bienlein jeti789 at web.de
Sun Dec 9 18:57:29 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 5 December 2018 at 06:47:44 UTC, Russel Winder
wrote:
> Project Loom is really about bringing an evolution of Quasar
> into the JVM so as to avoid all the hacking around that Quasar
> currently has to do to work properly. I think this is a good
> thing, and about time it happened.
>
> GPars had all this stuff in 2008. :-)
>
> GPars is now effectively a dead project.

I'm not sure this is correct. From what I can see GPars had no
green threads or something to mimic them like Kotlin Coroutines
using fibers. Also, I can't see that GPars had continuations.

> Channels/lightweight processes/executors/threadpools is now the
> norm in Rust as well.

They had a module to have something like green threads before
Rust turned 1.0 and then canceled it before Rust 1.0 was
released. To my knowledge this module is still discontinued.

It would be cool if D would get continuations. Then together with
the existign solution for fibers you could greate something that
matches Go's CSP-style concurrency or Kotlin's Coroutines.