Removing Meson as way of building dcd, d-scanner, etc

Basile B. b2.temp at gmx.com
Wed Dec 12 12:23:40 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 9 December 2018 at 16:53:22 UTC, Filipe Laíns wrote:
> On Thursday, 6 December 2018 at 13:10:53 UTC, Basile B. wrote:
>> If i remember correctly the idea behind the addition of Meson
>> build files was to have some semi official packages for
>> D-scanner and DCD. Where are they ?
>>
>> Right now I'm a bit angry because of the maintenance required
>> to support Meson. Usually i just don't care but today the CI
>> is broken for some reasons (i just know it's related to Meson
>> support. And this is not the first time.
>
> If you want I can step in and maintain meson. Also, we have
> official package for both D-Scanner and DCD in Archlinux.

I'm thinking about inviting you to dlang-community then. Do you
think you can fix at least the stupid stuff we have to do right
know (install python 3 while it's already setup). Again today i
have to do this:

     https://github.com/dlang-community/tinyendian/pull/18/files

Which is awfully slow. Most of the time is spent on setup python
3.6.3, which is not correct. CI tests for this product should not
spend more than 30 secs. Now they raise to 4 minutes.

The problem right now is that i handle this while i should not. I
have zero python+its ecosystem knowledge, i just use "dub" "make"
or my own exotic way of building, so the fix has chances to be be
stupid.