What is the state of Microcontroller support in d?

Piotrek dummy at dummy.gov
Wed Dec 12 20:19:53 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 12 December 2018 at 01:12:51 UTC, Mike Franklin
wrote:
> Well, it's also not entirely true.  I've submitted a few pull
> requests recently to hopefully help clear a few obstacles for
> others.  But after that I probably won't be doing besides a few
> things here and there.

I'm glad to hear you will be around. Be it only sharing your
great experience in the forums :) We have here too few people
with the embedded programming on their mind.

> I don't want to get too deep into it, as I don't think it will
> result in anything positive.  Suffice it to say, I want to get
> to X.  I don't know where others want to go, but it sure
> doesn't look like they're all that interested in X.  I don't
> think I'll ever be able to use D professionally if it stays on
> the current trajectory, and trying to influence its direction
> by contributing is exhausting and affects me negatively.

I know what you mean by the problems of using D in the industry.
On the other hand, 2 years ago I heard about a small company in
my area (Poland) that uses D for automation/robotics projects. It
was a little surprise to me.
And to be honest sometimes it's just a matter of the company
management and/or technical leaders' preferences if D can be used
in production. And I have seen so much bad tools and technologies
(not related to D) used in embedded systems area. And no one
cared about it.

As for Walter and Andrei, they have different priorities. And
that's ok for me, because I know that embedded system industry is
very though place for new technologies. Still, D can be already
used in micro controllers if requirements don't rule it out.

> At one point I asked myself:  "In 5 years what will I have to
> show for the blood, sweat, and tears I put into D?" vs "In 5
> years what will I have to show for the sweat, without the blood
> and tears, I put into X?".  Opportunity cost is the term that
> comes to mind.  Even if X never materializes I'll be more
> skilled, fulfilled, and ultimately happier if I work on X than
> contribute to D.

Yeah, I agree that we all should make our bets based on clean
conscience in order to not regret it. And maybe it's time for you
to have some fun and refill your energy.

As for me, I still consider D to be the best option for embedded
systems. The only contender is Rust. But in my opinion (based on
my experience) it has too many serious disadvantages and bad
goals.

To keep it short. I hope, that if there are any D related
activities done by you they will be fruitful for all parties. I
can say, I learnt many things from you. So,thank you.

BTW, is there a way I can send you some $ for a beer? :) Like
donation button?

Cheers,
Piotrek