What is the state of Microcontroller support in d?

Radu void at null.pt
Thu Dec 13 08:46:18 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 12 December 2018 at 11:13:01 UTC, Mike Franklin
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 12 December 2018 at 09:19:51 UTC, Jusl wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 12 December 2018 at 01:12:51 UTC, Mike Franklin
>> wrote:
>>> I don't think I'll ever be able to use D professionally if it
>>> stays on the current trajectory, and trying to influence its
>>> direction by contributing is exhausting and affects me
>>> negatively.
>>
>> Yup contributing to D is one of the worst experiences I've had
>> with any Open Source project I've contributed to. Walter isn't
>> even willing to admit to there being problems, if he thinks
>> there isn't a problem then nothing about it will end up
>> changing. Doesn't help that he has opinions that align with
>> that developer from Clojure, that he owes you and everyone
>> else absolutely nothing, yet (I imagine or at the very least
>> *hope*) he wants D to succeed. The two don't go hand in hand
>> though.
>
> To clarify, contributing to D, in general, has been a positive
> experience for me.  Many on the team were quite helpful
> reviewing my PRs, helping me get them right, contributing
> alternate implementations, helping me with testing and other
> infrastructure issues, etc.  Thank you all for your support.  I
> did my best to pay some of that back; and I'm sorry if it
> wasn't enough.
>
> What I was trying to say is that trying to influence D's
> direction (by contributing) is exhausting and constantly leaves
> me feeling disappointed and sad rather than hopeful for the
> future.  I think Walter and Andrei have set a course for where
> they want to go, and aren't all that interested in
> alternatives.  That's fine, and if I were leading the project,
> I wouldn't have it any other way, but I don't think the current
> direction will be successful (I'd be delighted to be proven
> wrong).  I see the next 5 years much like the past 5 years, and
> that's discouraging to me.
>
> I have no hard feelings for those I worked with when I was more
> actively involved.  I salute you all and thank you for your
> support. I just have a different vision for what D should be;
> that's all.
>
> Mike

Mike, thanks for contributing to D!

Hope that you might reconsider and keep adding your great
experience to making D a viable tool for embedded devices.

I think I understand your frustration, I glanced over some of
your PRs and your comments and I think you were right on many
occasions. It is a shame that some times W&A don't properly
reward talent and expertise. Time to time we see talented people
giving up and leaving because some friction with W or A. I wish
there was a way to mediate such things.

All the best,

Radu