Does the spec take priority over the compiler?

Neia Neutuladh neia at ikeran.org
Sun Dec 16 18:16:58 UTC 2018

When the spec says that one thing should happen and the compiler does
something different, should we generally take the spec to be correct, or
should we take the compiler to be correct? Do we need to ask Walter every
time, or go spelunking through github comments and the newsgroup to figure
it out?

When we want to change the compiler to be in line with the spec, does that
require a DIP? When we want to change the spec to be in line with the
compiler, does that require a DIP?

The specific question here is whether attributes like @nogc should
propagate into nested declarations the same as @trusted (as the spec says)
or not (as the compiler implements).