Why can't we derive struct's?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Dec 20 18:04:12 UTC 2018

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 04:45:13PM +0000, 12345swordy via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Thursday, 20 December 2018 at 16:10:39 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 03:44:34PM +0000, 12345swordy via Digitalmars-d
> > wrote:
> > > On Thursday, 20 December 2018 at 15:29:50 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
[...]
> [...]
[...]
> > > When IgorStepanov quit disappearing on us.
> > > https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/8378
> > [...]
> >
> > IIRC, that PR was blocked because of disagreements over how
> > ambiguous symbols over multiple alias this types would be resolved.
> > Somebody needs to come up with a DIP with well-defined semantics for
> > all the details and corner cases before this can move forward.
[...]
> Then DIP 66 have failed and needs to be rejected.
[...]

Ahh, I thought you were pointing to dmd PR #3998, the original multiple
alias this PR.  My bad.  I see that this is a newer PR submitted just
earlier this year. I don't know if it addressed the concerns raised
here:

	https://forum.dlang.org/post/m74pg8$gl4$1@digitalmars.com

which I assume would be required to pass scrutiny by W&A.  But in any
case, there was some feedback but Igor seems to have gone MIA.
Hopefully he shows up again soon.  I've been waiting for multiple alias
this for years now. :-/

Life begins when you can spend your spare time programming instead of watching television. -- Cal Keegan