Why can't we derive struct's? (Hansel & Gretel)

Mike Franklin slavo5150 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 21 22:53:28 UTC 2018

On Friday, 21 December 2018 at 21:42:35 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> D isn't any more suitable for in-browser code than C++ is. A
> native language with raw pointers would not be a good choice
> for an embeddable scripting language.
>
> Javascript has been incredibly successful as an embedded
> language in web pages.

Now that web assembly has arrived, C++ is a perfectly suitable
language for the browser.  I'm predicting Javascript will become
a legacy language for the web in 5 years.

I recently wrote 2 applications in C# web assembly (using Blazor)
and they probably took me 20% of the time had I needed to write a
backend in C# and a frontend in Javascript.  It was an awesome,
eye-opening experience, and I'm never going back.

There may still be a need for Javascript for a few things, but
not many.  Javascript's days are numbered.  IMO, C#, C++, Rust,
and other general purpose languages that can compile to web
assembly is where it's at for the future of the web.  And, I
don't see why D can't be a major player there, as I know it
already has been demonstrated to be:
https://forum.dlang.org/post/zwmszfalyeprtyyhxfeq@forum.dlang.org

Mike