Why can't we derive struct's? (Hansel & Gretel)

Atila Neves atila.neves at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 10:47:36 UTC 2018

On Friday, 21 December 2018 at 21:42:35 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 12/21/2018 3:54 AM, Atila Neves wrote:
>> On Friday, 21 December 2018 at 11:25:18 UTC, Walter Bright
>> wrote:
>>> Probably because Lisp is unusable without macros,
>>
>> Lisp is perfectly usable without macros,
>
> Technically true. Doubtful that is pragmatically true once a
> program exceeds a certain size.

As true as a C program of the same size. They're just better than
not using them. I have difficulty not writing macros when I write
Lisp, but then again I have difficulty not writing templates when
I write C++ or D.

> D isn't any more suitable for in-browser code than C++ is. A
> native language with raw pointers would not be a good choice
> for an embeddable scripting language.

And yet, people have been compiling C++ and running it in the
browser for a while.

> Javascript has been incredibly successful as an embedded
> language in web pages.

It has. But with webassembly its days might be numbered.