Why can't we derive struct's?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Mon Dec 24 19:57:50 UTC 2018

On 12/24/2018 10:10 AM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> If you can convince him, that would be great!

You'd need very compelling use cases.

It's like adding more and more horsepower to a car. At some point, it doesn't
make the car better.

Or like operator overloading. C++ has much more expansive rules for operator
overloading. They lead to clever programs, and some people swear by them, but
are they *better* programs? For example,

* iostreams

* regex DSL
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/e630/5f84bca36251fd5a4ffa5f00e0effc8aaa7d.pdf

? I don't buy it. I've never seen an elegant use of the more expansive power
(even though many insist those two examples are elegant).