Origins of the D Programming Language

fouad2400 radford08 at ksframem.com
Mon Dec 24 23:04:01 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 18 December 2018 at 15:11:50 UTC, anon reviewer wrote:
> On Friday, 30 November 2018 at 19:34:58 UTC, Andrei
> Alexandrescu wrote:
>> Over the past few months, Walter, Mike, and myself have been
>> working on a draft submission for the HOPL 2020 conference
>> (History of Programming Languages).
>>
>> The submission proceeds in several stages. Currently we've
>> been through one round of preliminary review. Here is the
>> current draft:
>>
>> http://erdani.com/hopl2020-draft.pdf
>>
>> We'd appreciate feedback and additional historical details.
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Andrei (on behalf of Walter and Mike as well)
>
> A final comment on historical details:
>
> In the section on uniform function call syntax, the last
> sentence references recent proposals to add a uniform calling
> syntax to C++, but the wording suggests that this is currently
> a part of ISO C++, which it is not as the proposals have not
> been accepted yet.
>
> Moreover, references to earlier proposals on this topic should
> be given. In particular Glassborow (2004), "N1585: Uniform
> Calling Syntax (Re-opening public interfaces)", was an early
> formal C++ proposal that identified the need for allowing free
> functions to be called with member function notation (albeit
> using a special annotation using "this" for such functions),
> and who first introduced (AFAIK) the term Uniform Calling
> Syntax (UCS) that this feature is now called. (see
> http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2004/n1585.pdf )

very last comment on historical details:

inside the phase on uniform function call syntax, the final
sentence references latest proposals to add a uniform calling
syntax to C++, but the wording indicates that that is currently
part of ISO C++, which it is not as the proposals have now not
been usual but.

moreover, references to in advance proposals in this subject
matter have to accept. particularly Glassborow (2004), "N1585:
Uniform Calling Syntax (Re-opening public interfaces)", become an
early formal C++ thought that identified the need for allowing
loose capabilities to be known as with member characteristic
notation (albeit the usage of a special annotation using "this"
for such functions), and who first brought (AFAIK) the time
period Uniform Calling Syntax (UCS) that this feature is now
called.