CloudABI support?

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Tue Dec 25 19:26:29 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 25 December 2018 at 17:36:46 UTC, Andrew Pennebaker
wrote:
> Some UNIX coders are looking forward to restricting system
> calls with CloudABI, so that we can get similar security and
> portability to Docker, without the loss of efficiency of
> containers. What do D coders think of CloudABI?
>
> https://nuxi.nl/
>
> Here's an example for building C CloudABI applications with cc
> from Clang:
>
> https://github.com/mcandre/cartel

I wish someone would teach all these projects that you need to
describe what you're actually doing up front. AFAICT just from
their other website at https://cloudabi.org, whose front page
isn't much better than the one you gave, that would be "A new
capability-based C runtime and APIs so that all your cloud
applications can be secured and run portably across any OS we
support." What's their solution for multi-arch, separate or fat
binaries?

Capabilities are nice, but I don't know enough about security
tech to say if they're much better than other sandboxing tech. I
suspect that security is still a hard sell for most, and it will
not go farther than those few niches who care.

> I wonder if LDC could be similarly wired up to build CloudABI
> binaries from D source files?

Of course, as all it seems to need is libc support, some API
wrappers in D, and maybe some ABI tweaks, which is no different
than porting D to any other common platform.