Better string mixins

Paul Backus snarwin at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 18:39:40 UTC 2018

On Friday, 28 December 2018 at 17:47:41 UTC, Neia Neutuladh wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Dec 2018 04:09:30 -0800, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 12/27/2018 9:55 PM, Michelle Long wrote:
>>> This avoids having to do shit like
>>
>> Please don't use such words on the forums. We expect
>> professional demeanor.
>
> Based on enforcement, I'd say it's a rule against swearing
> specifically. At my job, I can say it's fucked up that
> swagger-codegen for Java produces broken JAX-RS code by
> default, but if I responded to a coworker missing something in
> documentation by sending them a link to the Wikipedia page for
> confirmation bias, that wouldn't be acceptable.
>
> On the newsgroups, though, the opposite is true.

"No swearing" is a bright-line rule [1] that's easy to understand
and to enforce. "No passive-aggressive Wikipedia links", on the
other hand, requires a certain amount of subjective judgment, and
as a result has more potential to lead to misunderstandings.

When you have a relatively small group of people who all know
each other, misunderstandings aren't too difficult to resolve,
but when you have a large group of people, many of whom are
complete strangers to one another, it can become quite difficult.
So it makes sense that a public newsgroup, which is more like the
second kind of group, would favor simple, clear rules, at the
expense of nuance.

[1] https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/bright-line_rule