Building DMD on OpenBSD

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at gdcproject.org
Fri Dec 28 22:14:19 UTC 2018

On Fri, 28 Dec 2018 at 22:55, Ryan via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Friday, 28 December 2018 at 16:37:14 UTC, Thomas Mader wrote:
> > On Friday, 28 December 2018 at 12:02:48 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> >> If you're using 2.068 as a bootstrap, you'll have to make two
> >> jumps in order to get to the latest release, 2.068 -> 2.076 ->
> >> 2.084.  You can then keep 2.076 around as the baseline for
> >> building latter versions, which should be remain true for the
> >> next year or so before the next minimum version bump.
>
> ugh, I can see that sort of setup becoming cumbersome to maintain
> overtime in the OpenBSD ports world.  Maybe using 2.068 as the
> bootstrapper isn't the best approach after all.

Well, you only need to bootstrap it once, and when you have the 2.076
compiler built, you just keep those binaries around, there's no need
to use the 2.068 sources ever again.

Hopefully the dmd CI covers that version of ldc.  Though if it's based
on 2.068, your mileage may vary, as the source code is not compatible
with that version anymore.

Good luck!