Better string mixins

rikki cattermole rikki at cattermole.co.nz
Sat Dec 29 01:39:42 UTC 2018

On 29/12/2018 6:47 AM, Neia Neutuladh wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Dec 2018 04:09:30 -0800, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 12/27/2018 9:55 PM, Michelle Long wrote:
>>> This avoids having to do shit like
>>
>> Please don't use such words on the forums. We expect professional
>> demeanor.
>
> Based on enforcement, I'd say it's a rule against swearing specifically.
> At my job, I can say it's fucked up that swagger-codegen for Java produces
> broken JAX-RS code by default, but if I responded to a coworker missing
> something in documentation by sending them a link to the Wikipedia page
> for confirmation bias, that wouldn't be acceptable.
>
> On the newsgroups, though, the opposite is true.

Its not specific to swearing. Your usage of the word "fucked" here is ok
for example. You're not using it as an adjective. Just stating a context
for which it has been used in.

We do badly at it, but a large point of the purpose of that rule is to
stop aggressive tones and hateful discussion. With insults going back in
forth. For this reason it works rather well.

Either way, this is getting rather off-topic.