Modern C++ Lamentations

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 15:57:57 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 29 December 2018 at 15:34:19 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> Yeah no kidding, recently I rewrote a whole bunch of code to
> get *rid* of dependency on std.regex because it was too slow,
> and project compilation time improved from about 7+ seconds

Ditto. (Basically). Rewriting the uri parser in cgi.d brought its
build time from about 3 seconds down to 0.6. Which still feels
slow, especially next to my minigui.d, which can do 0.3 since it
broke off from Phobos entirely! (It was 2.5 seconds before).

> But we seriously need to improve on these two areas before we
> start proclaiming how good D compilation times are, because
> that's no longer true.

Amen. I have boxes that have infinite D build times because it is
impossible to run the sloppy compiler!