Modern C++ Lamentations

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sun Dec 30 14:59:19 UTC 2018

On Sun, Dec 30, 2018 at 09:45:11AM -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> Hmmm, I thought Dmitry was successful at eliminating most overheads of
> importing and not using std.regex. Perhaps a second pass would be
> needed?

I think the cost of importing without actually using std.regex should
have been fixed by now, but the complaint here is importing and *using*
std.regex, which would be the important use case. :-D

Understandably, some amount of cost would have to be paid to actually
use the module, but given our fast-fast-fast slogan, should it really
add *5 seconds* to compilation time just to use a couple of near-trivial
regexes?

Why can't you just be a nonconformist like everyone else? -- YHL