adrdox vs markdown vs ddoc

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Thu Feb 1 06:18:52 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 1 February 2018 at 01:23:38 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> Now, if a 5-character insertion requires 29 edit operations,
> what do you think the programmer is going to do? Keep up with
> it, or let the documentation stay slightly suboptimal and
> out-of-date because it is a hassle?

To be fair, I feel with you and all the tables I have created are
formatted as good as DDoc allows, e.g.

https://github.com/dlang/phobos/blob/master/std/exception.d

Actually I prefer doing tables in Ddoc because it's a little
easier (if you know all the macros)

> BTW, I also hate any syntax that requires editing every line.
> Again, it goes back to that linear vs constant time edit. I
> just copy/pasted that from the website. Using bbcode or html or
> ddoc or adrdox, you just surround it with some tag like I did
> there. Even indenting it is not really necessary to make it
> legible and functional (though like every editor makes that
> simple anyway).
>
> I prefer markdown's ``` blocks to the leading for spaces
> primarily for this reason, though adding language tags is a
> secondary benefit to that.
>
> This is also why I friggen hate comments with leading stars:
>
> /*
>  * why write all
>  * this leading crap?
>  */
>
> /*
>     This is so much better
> */

Same here.
We recently added this to the DStyle:

https://dlang.org/dstyle.html#phobos_documentation
https://github.com/dlang/dlang.org/pull/2129

So, new Phobos code will be written without stars.

> Edit those without using editor macros. Barf. And if you are
> willing to use editor macros, the other justification for it -
> making the comment look different than code - disappears since
> if your editor is fancy enough to understand that leading *
> crap and automatically reformat it, it could just as well
> syntax highlight it in some way (including displaying leading
> stars without saving them to the file!)
>
>> I wouldn't expect `...` to produce a link; it should just be
>> formatted differently (typically in monospace font) to
>> indicate that it's a code snippet.

It tells quite a bit about the complexity of Ddoc that I had to
add support for -D to run.dlang.io ...

>> Using [...] syntax for links makes more sense to me, even
>> though personally, I really prefer to just write plain ole
>> text and paste the URL in its own indented block:
>>
>> 	http://example.nowhere.edu/blah/blah/blah
>
> adrdox recognizes urls and I like writing them like that when I
> actually write a url.... but the benefit of [reference] is that
> it doesn't require an actual url. It is just a symbol, in scope
> even.

I'm not a fan of Ddoc by any means, but that has been fixed in
Ddoc does this too now: https://run.dlang.io/is/75Z55o

https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/7043