Quora: Why hasn't D started to replace C++?

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Thu Feb 1 11:20:00 UTC 2018

On Wed, 2018-01-31 at 13:14 +0000, Michael via Digitalmars-d wrote:

[…]
> I agree that marketing is a pretty serious problem for D. Many
> people just aren't aware of it. Even for people who do not
> […]

Some suggestions:

More people putting more good projects using D on GitLab, BitBucket,
Launchpad, and GitHub.

People writing more articles using D in publications such as CVu and
Overload, etc.

People putting more sessions into conferences such as ACCU using D –
there hasn't been a single D-related session since Andrei's keynote at
ACCU 2016.

My own small contribution is to answer all the ACCU C++ Code Critiques
with answers that say do not use C++, but use Python, D, Go, Rust, so
as to get more non-C++ into C++ programmers minds. Clearly hardened C++
folk look only to C++ and never consider any language other than
assembly language, but a lot of currently C++ folk are not hardened to
the C++-only mindset. And ACCU is about programming with an emphasis on
C++. This is clearly a great place for D content.

D-only conferences, as (C++|Go|Rust)-only ones, have their place, but
their main role is to reinforce the community. Marketing requires
people to take the message outside the community. ACCU conferences and
journals provide an excellent place to market D to people outside the D
community.

This year ACCU has some good Rust content. I wanted some Go content but
it seems they are as reluctant to come to a polyglto conference as D
people seem to be. :-(

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200