On reddit: Quora: Why hasn't D started to replace C++?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Feb 1 19:10:29 UTC 2018

> On Thursday, 1 February 2018 at 00:57:16 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> > https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/7udfs4/is_anyone_replacing_c_with_d/
[...]

The only useful comment I got out of that is the link to this
thought-provoking article about the so-called Blub Paradox:

	http://www.paulgraham.com/avg.html

It's interesting that he speaks about programs that write programs,
i.e., metaprogramming.  That places D pretty high up on his so-called
"power continuum".  I won't start a flamewar about whether Lisp or D is
better, but the typical D program (at least, the kind that I write) is
pretty heavy on template metaprogramming and compile-time features.
That seems to somewhat correlate with his 20-25% macros figure. The fact
that D brings powerful metaprogramming features to the average coder in
a form that's not intimidating (or less intimidating than, say, C++
templates with that horrific syntax), to me, is something very
significant.

The trouble with TCP jokes is that it's like hearing the same joke over and over.