Quora: Why hasn't D started to replace C++?

John Gabriele jgabriele at fastmail.fm
Thu Feb 1 19:28:37 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 1 February 2018 at 03:00:07 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/31/2018 5:58 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> cosmetic features.
>
> I tough lesson I've learned is that cosmetics matter, a lot.
> Sometimes much more than substance. There's no getting away
> from it.

This is one reason I recommend markdown for docs. Cosmetics is
what markdown does best. People *like* looking at it and editing
it. It's like typing an email or a forum comment.

Other reasons I recommend it are:

   * everyone already knows it (it's at github, stackoverflow, and
reddit),

   * it's fairly easy to write (as easy as possible while still
looking good),

   * there's an open spec (CommonMark), and

   * writing new language-specific markup formats appears to be
something that's not done anymore. There's javadoc, texinfo,
doxygen, docbook, groff --- all very ... *mature* technologies.
In modern projects: Rust uses markdown, Python uses reST, Git
uses asciidoc --- all general-purpose non- language-specific
lightweight markup formats.

The only reason I can think of for *not* using markdown for
project docs is if your project is another competing lightweight
markup format.