Quora: Why hasn't D started to replace C++?

Nerve nervecenter7 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 03:48:37 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 1 February 2018 at 15:27:02 UTC, Benny wrote:
> Suggestion:
>
> Is it maybe not better to have one "front-end" compiler visible
> that people download
>
> Example:
>
> D run main.d
> D run main.d --compiler ldc ( not installed? Auto download and
> compile using dub )
> D run main.d --compiler ldc --options -o3
> D run main.d --compiler gdc ( not installed? Auto ...)
>
> D package install web-d
>
> Seen this layout with a some other compilers where everything
> is clean integrated.
>
> - Compiler ( default )
> -- Run
> -- Test
>
> - Package
> -- Install
> -- Remove
> -- Update
>
> - Tools
> --- Format
> --- Check
> - Language server?
>
> No dub, no ldc, gdc, no confusion, just one clean interface.
> What happens behind the interface is nobody there business. It
> just presents better.
>
> Dub already does half this work with the compiler option but
> its a package manager not the "face of D". Hard to explain...
>
> Anyway, too much off-topic?

DUB can fill this role quite well. What it needs is clearer
documentation on how to switch compilers. Better yet, outright
compiler switches from the command line to designate a compiler,
compile debug code, or run unittest code.

On another note, I do want to put in my two cents about this
controversial thread, and the continuing GC threads that pop up.
People that use D find it highly productive and performant in
their domains. C and C++ programmers, ostensibly the target
audience of D, continue to reject GC as some kind of albatross
they'll never get over.

dlang.org needs front-page, clear as day examples of the speed
benefits of optimized D code. Show that there is minimal or no
impact from the GC is most modern use cases (i.e. within
components of a web framework, within a database, within a
desktop application). Compare performance of real solutions. And,
if it can be done, show how maximally performant embedded code
with no GC can be run on constrained real-time hardware with a
significant gain in code readability.

tl;dr EXAMPLES EXAMPLES EXAMPLES

SHOW the world why the GC is not only not a big deal, but a good
thing, and STOP trying to TELL them by playing defense in
discussion threads around the Internet.