[RFC] IDE starter kit

b4s1L3 b. b3.temp at gmx.com
Fri Feb 2 06:14:03 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 1 February 2018 at 12:21:24 UTC, rjframe wrote:
> As a followup to [0], I want to take a look at packaging
> DlangIDE with a DMD compiler and tools, so we have an
> out-of-the box IDE for people giving D a try. This would be
> independent of the rest of the system, so moving on (either to
> Visual Studio, ldc, gdc, or whatever the programmer's preferred
> IDE/tooling might be) would require re-installing the compiler.
>
> Most of this post will be Windows-centric, but if this is
> popular/useful/ successful I'd also manage macOS and Linux kits.
>

> Basically, in the two years or so I've been here, newcomers
> have consistently had IDE problems. visual-d is perfect if
> you've got Visual Studio (especially with recent improvements),
> but otherwise you have to spend a bunch of time getting
> something set up just to try a language you're not yet sure
> about.
>
> Some sort of learner's or starter's IDE makes sense to me.
>
> My hypothetical programmer follows the path:
>
> 1) Discovers website. Runs some examples.
> 2) Plays with the online compiler in the tour.
> 3) Wants to download a compiler to work with. Wants an IDE, but
> does not
>    have Visual Studio installed (or maybe doesn't want to
> install an
>    extension yet).
> 4) Downloads the starter pack and starts learning.
> 5) Falls in love and takes the time to set up D with his/her
> preferred
>    toolset.

Actually nowadays if DMD is already setup, Coedit doesn't require
more configuration. Completion, all DCD features, and D-Scanner
warnings just work out of the box since the tools are distributed
with the IDE. In a way Coedit is already a "starter pack" and
since a while.

I don't know why but in this kind of topics it's never mentioned,
however since version 2 i can find testimonials showing that it
works out of the box:
https://forum.dlang.org/post/tiyuogdlwwoqpckvkdpn@forum.dlang.org