An idea for commercial support for D

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Fri Feb 2 08:56:04 UTC 2018

On Friday, 2 February 2018 at 02:04:07 UTC, psychoticRabbit wrote:
> On Wednesday, 31 January 2018 at 08:43:46 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>>
>> My time-limited model makes sure all source is made open
>> eventually, once the developers have been paid for their work.
>>

> This deceptive hybrid model (based I my understanding of it per
> the description above) is really offensive to those of us who
> understand the concept of open-source, and the benefits that
> flow from it.
>
> You (not you personally - I mean the person implementing such a
> hybrid model) lure people in with free open source, then, when
> something is found to be wrong with it, you make them wait for
> the fix.. until.. .. .. your ransom has been paid.
>
> Utterly offensive (the model that is).
>
> Open source means just that ...  Open source - It's turtles all
> the way down.
>
> Ransom-ware is something very different.

Except it's none of those things, as you yourself grasp that it's
a "hybrid model," ie not purely open source.  So it cannot be
deceptive, offensive, or ransom-ware, since it's perfectly clear
that it's its own thing.  And that mixed model is pretty much the
way all software is built these days, including the linux kernel
as mentioned earlier in this thread, so you are clearly using
such mixed software too, just by the fact that you posted in this
thread.

So given that all your claims are easily logically proven to be
nonsense, there's no point in going any further.