[RFC] IDE starter kit

rumbu rumbu at rumbu.ro
Fri Feb 2 13:04:19 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 1 February 2018 at 12:21:24 UTC, rjframe wrote:

> Basically, in the two years or so I've been here, newcomers
> have consistently had IDE problems. visual-d is perfect if
> you've got Visual Studio (especially with recent improvements),
> but otherwise you have to spend a bunch of time getting
> something set up just to try a language you're not yet sure
> about.
[snip]
> Thank you for your time, and your thoughts
> --Ryan
>

> [0]: https://forum.dlang.org/post/p4sba9$1bga$1@digitalmars.com

As a typical very lazy & convenient Windows user, even I don't
want to discourage you, let me tell you that every developer from
the Windows world will have a copy of Visual Studio installed.
New Project -> Console Application -> Hit F5. It just works. Set
a breakpoint -> Hit F5. It just works.

Every other IDE is not worth the experience. Why in the world a
lazy and convenient user should be so masochistic to install
debuggers, symbol converters or syntax highlighting and
intellisense plugins if he can have all of these plus many more
out of the box?

I you want my opinion regarding what's bad in the *first* Windows
experience, here it is:
- poor dub support. Ignoring inherent Windows dub problems,
convenient Windows users are too lazy to open the ugly cmd window
and run some commands; it will be nice to integrate dub in Visual
Studio. Right click, resolve dependencies, you know the rest.
- default install directory. In corporate environments, creating
folders in the root drive is a no-go.
- Intel OMF. My BitDefender installation keeps complaining for
every 32 bit executable I make despite of zillion samples I sent
to them. If you cannot compile even Hello World, why bother?
- there is no official GUI library (remember, we are talking
about GUI-centric lazy convenient guys here);
- not enough samples in VS. At least an updated GUI app and and a
Web server app must be available. Just as a proof of concept.