My choice to pick Go over D ( and Rust ), mostly non-technical

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Feb 2 17:24:47 UTC 2018

On Fri, Feb 02, 2018 at 05:01:58PM +0000, bachmeier via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> The things you want - a perfect out-of-the-box Windows experience,
> where you can make requests for others to do the things you want - is
> not what D has to offer.

While I agree that in an open-source volunteer project like this one, it
doesn't make sense to go around telling others what to do (it's their
own free time, they get to decide what they like to work on), I think
the bit about a perfect out-of-the-box Windows experience is something
that we can and should work on, even if we may never get there, given
our current manpower.  Reducing unnecessary barriers like this will only
benefit us in the long run.  I don't think it's a good idea to just give
up on it or ignore it.

And AFAIK, there *are* some people working on improving Windows support,
though progress is slow because of limited manpower. (And there's where
more volunteers to step up to the plate would help expedite things.) So
IMO it's unfair to say that D has absolutely nothing to offer on this
front -- it's not perfect yet, but we're getting there!

What did the alien say to Schubert? "Take me to your lieder."