Quora: Why hasn't D started to replace C++?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Feb 2 18:17:30 UTC 2018

On Fri, Feb 02, 2018 at 03:06:57PM +0000, Mark via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Wednesday, 31 January 2018 at 23:38:22 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
[...]
> > And I'll be frank that sometimes Andrei can take some effort to
> > convince, and it takes a certain amount of dogged persistence (and
> > thick-skin) to get through to him sometimes. And it doesn't help
> > that he has so much on his plate, and generally doesn't have enough
> > time to dedicate to all the decisions waiting upon him to make, so
> > sometimes it can be frustrating trying to get through to him.
[...]

It seems that what I said above caused a bit of a stir.  So let me
clarify that it was not intended to be a personal critique of Andrei,
and I apologize if it came across that way.  It was more intended as a
friendly dig on, shall we say, one of his more endearing personality
traits -- strong opinions on technical issues and the guts to stick to
them.  And to his credit, I don't know if somebody else in his shoes
would be able to do better than he does now.  Having to make sometimes
tough decisions, e.g., rejecting work that somebody put a lot of effort
into for the sake of the larger picture, while under the pressure of so
many other responsibilities, is not something I envy.  We should be glad
Andrei is willing to shoulder this burden, since otherwise D would not
be where it is today.

> In DConf 2016 Andrei literally said "I'm in charge of too many things.
> Please get me fired!" [1]. Sadly, it doesn't seem like much firing has
> happened since then. :-(
[...]

It has, to some extent. But the fundamental problem remains that more
manpower is needed so that he can be freed up to do the more important
things.  Having to personally review all new public symbols added to
Phobos, for example, just doesn't seem scalable in the long run.  But,
as Andrei himself said, the last time he left that decision to somebody
else, there was a noticeable deterioration in the quality of code in
Phobos.  So we need not only more manpower, but also more *trusted*
manpower; people who share the same views as Andrei, whom he can trust
to make the right decisions without his intervention.

"Maybe" is a strange word.  When mom or dad says it it means "yes", but when my big brothers say it it means "no"! -- PJ jr.