Quora: Why hasn't D started to replace C++?

Paolo Invernizzi paolo.invernizzi at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 20:58:14 UTC 2018

On Friday, 2 February 2018 at 18:17:30 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 02, 2018 at 03:06:57PM +0000, Mark via
>
> It has, to some extent. But the fundamental problem remains
> that more manpower is needed so that he can be freed up to do
> the more important things.  Having to personally review all new
> public symbols added to Phobos, for example, just doesn't seem
> scalable in the long run.  But, as Andrei himself said, the
> last time he left that decision to somebody else, there was a
> noticeable deterioration in the quality of code in Phobos.  So
> we need not only more manpower, but also more *trusted*
> manpower; people who share the same views as Andrei, whom he
> can trust to make the right decisions without his intervention.

There's no silver bullet to this, and it's indeed a very
difficult task.

Having done this for a lot of my life, my advice is simply to
keep that always present in every decision, and, sometime, be
more permissive in the short term decisions, to just archive that
more important long term goal.

Growing (and discovering!), talents it's indeed a job by itself.

/P