Quora: Why hasn't D started to replace C++?

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sat Feb 3 15:33:01 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2018-02-02 at 13:14 -0800, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> On 2/2/2018 11:08 AM, Russel Winder wrote:
> > Hummm… could it be that Andrei did not define the task
> > appropriately,
> > train the person appropriately, and mentor the person
> > appropriately.
> > Management has to be able to delegate and achieve required results
> > without doing the work themselves.
>
> Of course. But all that is far easier said than done.

It is a learned skill for most people, very few people can do it
without training or at least mentoring.

> Andrei and I are not born managers, we are learning as we go. So I
> ask for your
> indulgence and understanding where we fall short.

Who is your management mentor? It is making your job harder if you are
trying to teach yourselves purely from experience. Been there done
that, made much better progress after reading:

https://www.amazon.com/Leading-Self-Directed-Teams-Kimball-Fisher/dp/00
71349243

and even better having the use of a mentor. Admittedly though this was
office-based not distributed team work.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200