Inline code in the docs - the correct way

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Mon Feb 5 07:08:47 UTC 2018

On Monday, 5 February 2018 at 06:27:02 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 04, 2018 at 02:34:31PM -0500, Steven Schveighoffer
> via Digitalmars-d wrote: [...]
>> I don't have a hard time with braces. It tends to be worse
>> with parentheses.  Generally these are indented properly, and
>> not }}}}} all on one line.
>
> Wait till you see Lisp code. :-P
>

>> Note: if there are brace issues, the auto-tester fails it. Why
>> did that example I posted not catch the extra closing paren?
>> Can we have it do so?
> [...]
>
> Ddoc does complain about it, though it seems it's not treated
> as a compile error.  It's probably just a matter of making the
> autotester parse the compiler output to look for these
> error/warning messages, and forcing a test failure if found.

Yeah DMD emits those warnings and until recently -w with warnings
didn't even result in DMD terminating with a non-zero exit code,
though we finally fixed that a few weeks ago and 2.079 will
finally behave as expected:

https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/7440

Also note that you can't check-in any code in the core
repositories with failing Ddoc messages.
This was checked for Phobos for a long time, while again for DMD
and druntime that was only added recently, e.g.:

https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/7432