My choice to pick Go over D ( and Rust ), mostly non-technical

John Gabriele jgabriele at fastmail.fm
Mon Feb 5 18:54:32 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 4 February 2018 at 11:14:43 UTC, JN wrote:
> On Friday, 2 February 2018 at 15:06:35 UTC, Benny wrote:
>> You want to produce PDFs? fpdf 2015-Apr-06, a very limited PDF
>> generation tool last updated 3 years go.
>>

> While not as trivial as just using a dub package, D easy
> interop with C means you can use C libraries for PDF like
> libharu or w/e.
>
>> * Are you targeting C developers?
>>
>> Sure BetterC is a way towards that but again, what do you
>> offer more then Rust? I see C developers more going for Rust
>> then D on this point. Or hell even Zig or Jai or whatever 3
>> letter flavor of the month language.
>>

> The problem with flavor of the month languages is that people
> switch to them, play with them for a bit and abandon them. To
> quote Bjarne Stroustrup: "There are only two kinds of
> languages: the ones people complain about and the ones nobody
> uses". Languages like D or Java fall into the "get stuff done"
> category. They don't try to reinvent programming, they don't
> use the latest abstract higher order category theory union type
> lambdas, so they are considered boring by the language-hoppers.
> That's not a flaw of the language.
>
> Personally I agree that BetterC isn't a good alternative for C
> programmers. Sure, you get some benefits of D, but you will
> lose many benefits of C and you'll have to constantly fight
> "wait, can I use this in BetterC or not" kind of thing.

What is the specific purpose of -betterC? I see from
<https://dlang.org/spec/betterc.html> that it's (A) useful when
targeting constrained environments, and (B) for easier embedding
of D libraries into larger projects. But I think I've read
elsewhere in this forum that it was specifically useful for the
DMD implementation itself.

Is betterC intended to be used for standalone "D -betterC"
programs where C might've otherwise been used? My impression of D
so far is that it can indeed already be used as a better C by
avoiding the GC yourself, or invoking it yourself when
appropriate.

It may be useful if that betterc.html page gave a rationale for
it; to avoid any confusion on what its intended purpose is.