zortech - symantec - digital mars

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 03:22:07 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 6 February 2018 at 03:07:02 UTC, rikki cattermole
wrote:
> The comment is correct, dmd was indeed closed source for a good
> number of years.

dmd's frontend has been GPL licensed since at least version 0.50,
released Nov 20, 2002. You can still download these old archives
off the digital mars website. This fact was made for the very
early GCC integration and for the Linux port (people often forget
D was Windows only for quite some time early on!)

The backend I think was made source-available around 2010. I know
it was by 2012 (I downloaded 1.70 to prove it) but not sure
exactly when it came out.