Bye bye, fast compilation times

Stefan Koch uplink.coder at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 7 09:27:47 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 6 February 2018 at 18:56:44 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:

> We seriously need to get newCTFE finished and merged.  Stefan
> is very busy with other stuff ATM; I wonder if a few of us can
> continue his work and get newCTFE into a mergeable state.
> Given how much D's "compile-time" features are advertised, and
> D's new (ick) slogan of being fast or whatever, it's high time
> we actually delivered on our promises by actually making CTFE
> more usable.

There are some good news for you.
I've recently allocated a few more resources to newCTFE again.

I have to stress that it is not enough to get newCTFE feature
complete.
It is also vital make performance-related pass through the code.
newCTFE currently still at a Proof-Of-Concept quality level.

That said, newCTFE is designed with performance and JIT in mind.
It can achieve a 10-30x speed-up when implemented properly.

One thing that I really need in druntime is a cross-platform way
to allocate executable memory-pages, this can be done by someone
else.

Another Thing that can be done is reviewing the code and alerting
me to potential problems. i.e. Missing or indecipherable comments
as well as spelling mistakes.
(with the correction please (just telling me something is wrong,
will not help since I obliviously don't know how to spell it))