missing HexString documentation

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Wed Feb 7 15:41:37 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 7 February 2018 at 15:25:05 UTC, Steven
Schveighoffer wrote:
> On 2/7/18 9:59 AM, Ralph Doncaster wrote:
>> It is mentioned in the literals section, but not documented:
>> https://dlang.org/spec/lex.html#string_literals
>>
>>  From reading forum posts I managed to figure out that
>> HexStrings are prefixed with an x.  i.e. x"deadbeef"
>>

> Good catch! Even the grammar says nothing about what it is,
> except it has HexString as a possible literal.
>
> Can you file an issue? https://issues.dlang.org
>
> -Steve

They are deprecated:

https://dlang.org/changelog/pending.html#hexstrings
https://dlang.org/deprecate.html#Hexstring%20literals

Hence, the grammar has been incompletely updated. As it's not an
error to use them now, it should have stated that they are
deprecated.

Anyhow, you can always go back in time:

https://docarchives.dlang.io/v2.078.0/spec/lex.html#HexString