missing HexString documentation

Ralph Doncaster nerdralph at github.com
Wed Feb 7 19:25:37 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 7 February 2018 at 16:51:02 UTC, Seb wrote:
> On Wednesday, 7 February 2018 at 16:03:36 UTC, Steven
> Schveighoffer wrote:
>> Seems like the same code you would need to parse the first is
>> reusable for the second, no? I don't see why this deprecation
>> was necessary, and now we have more library/template baggage.
>>
>> -Steve
>
> For the same reason why octal literals have been deprecated
> years ago:
>
> https://dlang.org/deprecate.html#Octal%20literals
>
> The library solution works as well and it's one of the features
> that are rarely used and add up to the steep learning curve.

I, like Steve, disagree.
Coming from c/c++ (and some Java), this was really simple to
understand:
x"deadbeef"
While this took a lot more time to understand:
hexString!"deadbeef"

For hexString, I had to understand that ! is for function
template instantiation, and I also had to find out what library
to import.