missing HexString documentation

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 20:13:26 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 7 February 2018 at 17:36:56 UTC, Seb wrote:
> Octal predates GitHub, hexString is new:

Yes, I know, I was there :)

Heck, in the hexString forum thread, I argued that people knowing
this pattern is really useful because then they can do all kinds
of custom literals like stripping hexdumps.

Back in the octal days, I was thinking we should replace several
literals with the new pattern and do more user-defined stuff.
Notice who is cited in this old article
http://www.drdobbs.com/tools/user-defined-literals-in-the-d-programmi/229401068

But, in the years since, I've changed my mind... somewhat. The
pattern is still good and it being customizable is awesome, but
it is a minor hassle and even that minor hassle has hurt the use
in practice, like in the druntime examples.

We can do user defined literals for base X if we need more. But
since octal is used by operating system apis and that'd under
phobos... the phobos solution isn't great. Hex strings I think
are going to be basically the same in time. The library artifact
will sit there, unused.