Heads-up: upcoming instabilities in std.experimental.allocator, and what to do

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Thu Feb 8 10:35:14 UTC 2018

On Friday, 1 December 2017 at 02:30:29 UTC, Seb wrote:
> On Thursday, 30 November 2017 at 19:01:02 UTC, Andrei
> Alexandrescu wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>

>> Eduard, Alexandru Jercaianu and I are working on improving
>> allocators' design and implementation. This entails a few
>> breaking changes.
>>
>> In order to make matters easier for code using allocators,
>> Sebastian Wilzbach created a dub package freezing the existing
>> API: http://code.dlang.org/packages/stdx-allocator. Please use
>> that until we work the kinks out of allocators - great things
>> are coming! - and after that feel free to upgrade code to use
>> the new and improved allocators.
>
> I just pushed a couple of fixes [1] for older Phobos versions
> and stdx-allocator now works down until 2.072.2.
> If someone needs an older Phobos version to work with
> stdx-allocator, please let me know.
> Also switching to stdx-allocator is rather easy, e.g.:
>
> ```
> sed -i "s/std[.]experimental/stdx/g" **/*.d
> ```
>
> [1]
> https://github.com/wilzbach/stdx-allocator/commit/d06e4f2bae2eee5d380d145221ecb9cab04c90d7

Just a friendly reminder to people that experimental isn't
expected to be stable.
2.079 will come with this change, switch to stdx-allocator
package if you prefer stability. stdx-allocator provides the
current code and works down until 2.072.

https://dlang.org/changelog/pending.html#std-experimental-allocator-rciallocator
https://code.dlang.org/packages/stdx-allocator

Also note that only vibe.d ~>= 0.8.3-alpha.1 and vibe-core ~>=
1.4.0-alpha.1 use this package.
(though while most projects have been upgraded manually, I hope
that we can get a new release of Vibe.d out there soon to avoid
any issues - see [1]).

[1] https://github.com/vibe-d/vibe.d/issues/2058