Bye bye, fast compilation times

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Feb 8 11:23:43 UTC 2018

On Wed, Feb 07, 2018 at 10:59:51PM -0500, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> On 02/06/2018 08:47 PM, jmh530 wrote:
> >
> > Would it help to take the approach of mir, i.e. putting
> > version(mir_test) before all the unittests?
>
> That used to be a very common idiom. (And I agree with Jonathan M
> Davis: it's a STRONG sign the current design needs fixed). But newer
> versions of dub, intelligently, will only compile the files in the
> main project with -unittest, which solves the problem...*for dub
> users*. Unfortunately, this means that the idiom above has become less
> common and libraries have become less usable for anyone using a build
> tool *other* than dub. :(

Actually, it does *not* solve the problem for dub users.  Compiling with
-unittest causes unittests for imported modules to be instantiated too.
(Otherwise, Phobos unittests wouldn't show up in a -unittest build since
we never compile Phobos modules directly in a user project!)

ASCII stupid question, getty stupid ANSI.