Quora: Why hasn't D started to replace C++?

Martin Tschierschke mt at smartdolphin.de
Thu Feb 8 15:56:16 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 8 February 2018 at 15:29:08 UTC, Ralph Doncaster
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 7 February 2018 at 22:31:58 UTC, John Gabriele
> wrote:
>> I'm not sure how long dub has been around, but having an easy
>> to use CPAN-alike (online module repo) is HUGE. Dub is great
>> for sales. The better dub and the repo gets, the more
>> attractive D gets.
>
> I completely agree that the availability of libraries is a huge
> factor.  I almost gave up on D because of the limited amount of
> 3rd party libs.
> I think just improving the search function would help.
> http://code.dlang.org/search?q=keccak
> Comes up with nothing, so I started porting a sha3/keccak lib
> from C to D.  Then someone pointed out botan has sha3 support,
> which can be found if you search for "crypto"
> http://code.dlang.org/search?q=crypto
The opposite situation you may see, when searching for mysql:

You will get 9 packages listed. Which should I take?
If you click on everyone, you will realize, that some of them are
forks of other.
And the version number of mysql-native at the top, just recently
increased so strong, that it makes a different.
The minimum additional information which should be listed - I
think - is the number of downloads and GitHub stars.

I know that there is work behind the scene to find some kind of
weighted sort, this would be cool, but just displaying the GitHub
voting might help a lot.