A betterC base

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Thu Feb 8 18:06:38 UTC 2018

On 2/8/2018 9:03 AM, Dave Jones wrote:
> If D had a decent garbage collector it might be a more convincing argument.

'Decent' GC systems rely on the compiler emitting "write gates" around every
assignment to a pointer. These are justified in languages like Java and Go for
which everything is GC allocated, but they would be a performance disaster for a
hybrid language like D.

More precise GC exacts heavy runtime penalties, too, which is why attempts to
add them to D have had mixed results.

I.e. it isn't an issue of us D guys being dumb about the GC.

With @nogc, you don't have to be careful about it. The compiler will let you know.