Which language futures make D overcompicated?

rumbu rumbu at rumbu.ro
Fri Feb 9 13:10:16 UTC 2018

On Friday, 9 February 2018 at 08:27:21 UTC, Nick Sabalausky
(Abscissa) wrote:

> Defining input ranges (one of my biggest pet peeves):
>
> C# knocked it out of the park ages ago with its design for a
> stackless!!! (ie no-fibers) coroutine syntax. There's no reason
> the same approach couldn't be used in D for creating input
> ranges.

I'm missing too the yield return and await syntax in D every
time. In my current asp.net project I counted around 800 await
calls. I don't even imagine how difficult should be to translate
this in D style.

But back to the subject:
- pure @safe nothrow @nogc
- auto const ref
- __ctfe is a variable
- traits as a library solution;
- alias this;
- calling conventions are a best kept secret.
- everything is a range. If not, we will rangify it. Autodecoded
eventually.
- no dedicated syntax sugar for ranges;
- no dedicated syntax sugar for coroutines;
- no dedicated syntax sugar for events;
- GC is evil. OO is outdated.
- last integer promotion rules.

And not a language feature but I hate dub. Just saying.