Which language futures make D overcompicated?

Ralph Doncaster nerdralph at github.com
Fri Feb 9 16:05:52 UTC 2018

On Friday, 9 February 2018 at 15:46:56 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> On Friday, 9 February 2018 at 15:37:12 UTC, Ralph Doncaster
> wrote:
>

>> I think you are proving my point.  You say there is no
>> difference between:
>> const MAX_IN = 20;
>> vs
>> immutable MAX_IN = 20;
>>
>> So now I have to try both, and look at the generated code to
>> be sure.
>
> Or read the docs:
>
> https://dlang.org/spec/const3.html
>
>> p.s. I prefer const since it is easier for C/C++ coders to
>> understand.  Using immutable invites the coder to go down the
>> whole rat hole of trying to understand how is it different
>> than const.
>
> It's not a rathole. The document page above explains the
> differences rather well. They only happen to be identical when
> initialized with compile-time constants.

Well this part of the docs is a rathole to me:
https://dlang.org/spec/const3.html#implicit_qualifier_conversions

It might be clear and simple to you, but it's not to me.  And I'm
a rather advanced developer.
While there are lots of things I like about D compared to C++
such as getting rid of #include hell, there's too many "messy"
things and the learning curve is too steep for me to consider
suggesting it for any consulting projects.  I think it could've
been better if there was more focus on keeping the language (and
standard library) clean and simple instead of making it more like
a swiss army knife.