Which language futures make D overcompicated?

Atila Neves atila.neves at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 18:20:32 UTC 2018

On Friday, 9 February 2018 at 15:55:27 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Fri, 2018-02-09 at 13:51 +0000, Atila Neves via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:

>> > Why do people hate dub? I think it's a great package manager
>> > and build tool
>>
>> Great package manager? Yes.
>>
>> Great build tool? No. For anything that's not trivial it's an
>> exercise in frustration, pain, tears, waiting for builds to
>> finish, and workarounds for bugs.
>
> Of course whilst people just moan nothing changes. It strikes
> me as time to actively evolve Dub or replace it.

I'm perfectly happy with dub-the-package-manager.

As for dub-the-build-system, I already did something about it: I
wrote reggae. Nearly all of the problems I've had with using dub
to build have disappeared by just using reggae instead. There's
still a few things that aren't great (`dub describe` needs some
love, probably because I'm the only one parsing the output), and
sometimes I run into issues that only happen using reggae, but
overall, it's been a good choice. For starters, I'd much rather
have all our code build in 6min as it does now than over an hour
as it was before.

There are assumptions in the codebase that make solving some of
the issues so hard as to practically be impossible, and:

1. I don't get paid to work on dub (I have a hard time supporting
all my open source projects as it is!)
2. There are tons of things I want to do in/for D that I'm more
interested in
3. As mentioned above, it's easier for me to just use reggae

Atila

Atila