Which language futures make D overcompicated?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Feb 9 21:05:10 UTC 2018

On Fri, Feb 09, 2018 at 08:49:24PM +0000, Meta via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> I think the perception of D being complicated is more from programmers
> coming from Python/Ruby/JS (and to a lesser extent,
> Haskell/Scheme/Java). D is quite different if you're coming from a
> "VM" or "scripting" language because it exposes you to a lot of new
> concepts such as static typing, value types, templates,
> monomorphization, immutability, memory layout, linking and
> compilation, compile-time vs. runtime, etc. It's not that these
> programmers are less skilled or less knowledgeable; it's that if
> they've never used a language that has forced them to consider these
> concepts, then it looks to them like D is a massive step up in
> complexity compared to the language that they're used to.
>
> I think if you asked 100 C++ programmers whether they thought D was a
> complicated language, 99 of them would say no. If you ask 100 Python
> programmers, 99 would probably say yes.

Thanks for this very insightful post.

Before reading this, I couldn't understand why people thought D was
complex... I come from a strong C/C++ background, so to me D is like a
breath of fresh air in terms of understandability, flexibility, and
verbosity level. "Complex" certainly isn't what I'd think of when I
think about D.  But I suppose if someone is coming primarily from a
Python background, D could certainly be considered quite a step up in
perceived complexity!

Long, long ago, the ancient Chinese invented a device that lets them see through walls. It was called the "window".